Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 25, 2011

Tony Allen Has All Your Reckless Quotes

He ain't playing like his arm is hurt. I think that's all for the birds right there. I don't think there's anything wrong with him. Everybody's banged up...I don't go to the media saying what's wrong with me. I don't go to my P.R. guy and say "put this out". I just fight through.
-Tony Allen

Tony. Buddy. I love the attitude, I love the swagger. I love the chip on your shoulder. It's what has made you such an entertaining player this season, and it's one of the things that makes your Grizzlies such a likable team.

*Smack!* BUT WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!

The Grizzlies have put themselves in a great situation, up 2-1 over the Spurs, the top seed out West. San Antonio has looked old and undersized against a young, hungry Grizzlies team. Now, Celtics fans from last year can attest to the fact that Tony Allen is, to say the least, a strange young man. But this particular quote is playing with a very dangerous fire.

If there's anything we know about playoff basketball these past couple years, it's that the vets don't go down easily, and sometimes all they need is a little motivation. Last year, the Celtics were being counted out before Quentin Richardson through an elbow at Garnett and both teams got into each other's faces on the sideline. Richardson followed up the altercation with a comment to the media calling Pierce and Garnett "actresses" and saying "I don't like them and they know it." 

This situation ended about as well for Q-Rich as throwing a rock at a hornet's nest. Boston went on a chainsaw-like tear, knocked off the Heat in 5, and blew through the Eastern Conference like a tornado through a trailer park before Kendrick Perkin's injury cost the Celtics the title in Game 7.

For the record, I still think Memphis holds the advantage in this series. I think they should be able to win tonight and go back to San Antonio with a commanding 3-1 series lead, especially if the Spurs front line is sporting a hobbled Antonio McDyess from his neck injury. But if San Antonio has been kickstarted, if they come back and win the series, and if Manu Ginobili plays pissed off, destroying everything in his path, this writer for one won't be incredibly surprised. And I'm pretty sure I'll know where to point my finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment